The Deck.

I think the deck of any boatbuilding project is a bit of a milestone.  Effectively once the deck is on this is the boat structurally complete. The deck panels were cut in segments, all four which must joined together. The forward deck assembly is made of three panels and once assembled rest on the forward bulkhead. This should allow the deck to rise as it approaches the coaming that surrounds the pilot. 


I am pleased enough with the result, there was a fair bit of repeated inserting and removing to get it right but eventually it came right. Now this boat actually looks like a kayak. Once the glue had settled and the deck is firm, I will then add a further epoxy fillet beneath it at the inner sheer, coated with more 10oz fiberglass tape. 

Careful use of a plane lets me create a nice radial at the sheerline. Its not just for cosmetic reasons though as fiberglass cloth is more suited to curves than angles and later I will have to coat this surface.
I sanded the hull smooth and made sure all chines were sanded to a radial finish. I needed to do this by hand as I needed to feel the surface. It took several days to prep the hull. 



No comments:

Post a Comment