Making the Breast and Bow Hook

I always keep my timber cutoffs as they often become useful later and of course timber is precious. From some older unused hardwood I took a nice piece of teak. I have had this in storage for about twenty years and before that it at as a window board for a decade in my house. Cuttings from this will make a nice breast and also bow hook. It's important that this be a hardwood as if ever the the pilot is in trouble and needs a tow the fittings for that connection will be embedded in the hook. So I have shaped up both the bow hook and the breast hook to match the shape suggested by the way that the fore and aft planking has settled.

This will be inserted with epoxy resin as the adhesive.I'd just like to add that teak is an oily wood, even this decades old piece will contain some oil so a good cleaning with an alcohol based cleaner where the joint is to be made is required. 

No comments:

Post a Comment