Fibreglassing the Hull continued..

With the sanding and feathering complete I am now in a position to fully encapsulate the wooden hull in glass and resin. This process is done in the three stages. Firstly I lay the glass on the hull and push the resin through it with a small paint roller. This is called the adhesive coat and it is to make sure the glass fully adheres to the wood. 

Firstly I lay the glass over the hull and smooth it out by hand.  This particular weave of glass is called woven roving and because the radials are in place and the hull is smooth it conforms nicely to the boats form.

The adhesive coat ids put on with a gloss roller, this presses the resin through the glass and once it cures it bonds the glass to the hull.

This job is completed above and below.


The next two coats will be the fill coat and the finish coat but before I do those I must build the boat's coaming.









No comments:

Post a Comment