Making Templates

There are tons of plans and demonstrations for kayak building online. What I am looking for is something relatively simple to build, something that will be robust, easy to repair and something that will be useful for carrying enough gear in on long journeys. 

So I have settled on the idea of a sea kayak that can be built using the stitch and glue construction method and after viewing various plans and making many scribbles I have made templates of the various sections I will need to stitch together. 

I first cut them all a little larger than needed and did the fine tuning after. This is because I anticipate mistakes while cutting from an 8 x 4 sheet of plywood and I can plane down the cut outs to their accurate dimensions later. Once I have all the pieces cut correctly I will use a router on the templates to cut the actual mahogany panels. Timber is precious and I would rather make mistakes on ordinary building plywood than on expensive mahogany plywood.


so this is what a kayak looks like if you could unfold it flat.







No comments:

Post a Comment